Monday, June 9, 2014

Fear of Change

They say change is a good thing, but each person goes through their own process when it comes to change.  Some people embrace it whole heartedly while others resist and take a long time to finally accept it.  At the moment I am being faced with a huge change in my life.  In three weeks I will be moving to a new city, start a new job, and live all on my own.

I have pretty much lived all of my life in Huntington Beach.  It wasn't until 2007 that I started to exercise regularly and the beach and I became fast friends.  I run, bike, and paddleboard at the beach and I can't imagine it any other way.  It's where I process my day, stare at the beauty that is the ocean, and I have good talks and prayers with God there.  It is my home and my sanctuary.  As I contemplate my move I realize why it is so hard for me to embrace.  I am leaving my human family, my spiritual family, my full-time job family, and my part-time job family.  I am leaving 4 families all at the same time.  People say to me that I'm only going to be an hour away, but I know that I won't keep in touch with everyone and that makes me very sad.

At the same time though I know that change in life is sometimes necessary for more human and spiritual growth.  I know it will push me out of my comfort zone and my daily routines.  One part of me is very scared and sad, and the other part is sort of excited.  It reminds me of jumping into a swimming pool when I was very young.  At first I would be scared, but once I was in the pool I was having the time of my life.  So once I get to my new apartment I'm going to start a bucket list of all of the places and things I want to explore.  I want this to be an adventure, and I know it's all about the attitude I bring to it.  Once I am there I want to embrace it, but I know it will still be a process.

So in the words of Gail Sheehy, "If we don't change, we don't grow.  If we don't grow, we aren't really living."

No comments:

Post a Comment