Friday, August 22, 2014

Change can be good.

It has been almost two months since I have moved, and six weeks that I have lived in Pasadena since I was in Alaska for two weeks.  Since I have moved I have realized that sometimes it's not until you make a change that you realize you needed a change.  That's what happened to me.  My new job has been great, everyone has been so warm and inviting, and I didn't realize I missed people greeting me in the morning and saying good bye until I landed at my new job.  It's something so small, but having a hello in the morning and a good bye in the evening makes my day seem right.

The move hasn't been all smooth but has been filled with ups and downs with having ants, roaches, and a rat in my apartment.  Yet, along the way I have met some wonderful and helpful people to get me through it all.  The roaches and rat have been eradicated, and I ended up having the best conversation with the pest exterminator.  I had had a hard week and we ended up chatting with us both finding out that we're Christians.  We both ended up encouraging each other, and I just felt so taken care of.  I also got locked out of my apartment and had a stranger help me to break back into my apartment.  Through it all I keep meeting the kindest and warmest people who have helped me feel like this is where I am supposed to be.

I miss being by my Pacific Ocean so much, and I tried the Rose Bowl Track that gets 4.5 stars on Yelp.  Sorry Rose Bowl Track you did nothing for me except to give me 3+ miles of exercise.  All that experience means to me is I tried something new, I didn't like it so I'll find something that works for me.

There are times where I feel rather alone and I know I need to push myself to get out there, meet new people, make new friends, etc.  I have looked at meet up groups, events, and other things.  I just happened to be warming up my lunch today when a co-worker that I just met asked me how I was doing in Pasadena.  We started to talk and she gave me the best advice, "Don't rush it, it'll come.  Things will fall into place where you'll feel like this is your home.  You don't want to feel like you need to get out there and treat it like it's your job, otherwise it takes the fun out of it all."  I reflected upon her words and told her those were just the words I needed to hear.  She is right, I will explore my new "hood" in my own time, in my own way, and at my own pace.  Change can be good, but it doesn't have to be rushed.


No comments:

Post a Comment